Virology tidbits

Virology tidbits

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Poliovirus - a model for a (nearly) successful vaccination campaign

Poliomyelitis or infantile paralysis is a potentially fatal infectious disease of the spinal cord and the brain caused by Poliovirus - a small positive strand RNA virus part simliar to other Enteroviruses such as the Coxsackieviruses, Rhinoviruses and Echoviruses. Serologically three different serotypes can be distinguished, Poliovirus I, II and III, each with slightly different structures of the capsid protein. The three subtypes not only differ in the structure and properties of the capsid protein but also in their pathogenicity, with Type II being the mildest. In children, following an incubation period of about 3-20 days with minor symptoms, a second phase may occur which is characterized by meningitis and paralysis. In adults the first phase is often skipped, presenting themselves with paralysis and meningitis. Both phases are accompanied by high fever and general malaise, including diarrhea as well as vomiting and a severe headache.
Poliomyeltis was a disease very common in the western hemisphere up to the mid-1950s, declining after the introduction of the first successful vaccine, an inactivated vaccine (termed IPV) which protects vaccinated children against all three types of Poliovirus and developed by Jonas Salk at the University of Pittsburgh. Later Alfred Sabin would propagate his vaccine, a live attenuated vaccine (termed OPV for Oral Polio Vaccine) and the Salk vaccine would be replaced over time by this one. Since the 1990s however the use of OPV is discontinued in most countries since it has been shown that OPV can recombine with other Enteroviruses and cause a disease resembling poliomyelitis in non-vaccinated children and in those children which have been vaccinated but where the vaccination failed. Additionally, it also has been shown that a significant number of children which were vaccinated with OPV would shed virus in their faeces - a considerable problem in areas with poor sanitation and thus be able to infect unvaccinated members of the household. Without dwelling too much on the disease, the introduction of a mass vaccination program in the 1950s was a success story, second only to the introduction of the smallpox vaccine. Although only a relative small number of those infected with the virus required hospitalization -if showing any symptoms at all- those who were admitted often faced permanent paralysis of the extremities, the extent depending which part of the spinal cord was infected. Death was often avoided only by placing the children in iron lungs (see image above); even if the children survived often they would face paralysis and motoneuron disease later in life, often 30 to 40 years after the initial infection cleared. This disease however is not induced by the virus itself but due to the death of motoneurons during the initial infection and subsequent "rewiring" of the nervous system.
Poliovirus is transmitted via the faecal-oral route and is able to survive the acidic pH of the gastrointestinal tract. In asymptomatic patients (95% of the infections are asymptomatic), the virus can only be detected within the bloodstream followed by viral clearance. In 5% of the cases however the virus is able to infect and replicate other cells as well, such as the brown fat, mononuclear phagocyte system (which includes microglia) and muscles - causing headaches, menignitis and general malaise. It is only in 1% of these cases that the central nervous system is infected and paralysis to a varying degree occurs, including breathing difficulties. In general, this last phase of the disease (the “neurological phase”) is considered to be accidental.
So why elaborate on a disease which is close to be eradicated, with epidemics belonging to the past? First, the disease is not eradicated yet. Deadlines have been announced only to be replaced with new deadlines. According the WHO, Polio is still endemic in parts of Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan. Vaccination campaigns in these countries are hampered by Muslim fundamentalists which believe that the vaccination of girls in particular is a campaign of the West to “sterilize" them or infecting them with HIV as well as causing apostasy or immoral behaviour. Aid workers are frequently targeted in attacks, fueled by suspicions that they are foreign agents, under the disguise of  providing vaccinations. 
Second, as I pointed out the Sabin vaccine was used for a long time.  Part of the reason of the introduction of the Sabin vaccine was the “Cutter incident” where a batch of the Salk vaccine was shown to cause illness in children following inoculation. This was shown to be caused by inadequate production of the vaccine; the company did not follow the guidelines, government regulators also failed to act and Jonas Salk was eventually cleared. In the early 1960s IPV nevertheless was replaced by the live attenuated vaccine developed by Alfred Sabin. This vaccine has the advantage that -since it is given orallly- it mimics the natural route of infection. Children also might prefer the sweet taste of sugar instead of the pain and scare associated with needles. In an interesting side note, this vaccine was first introduced in the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia prior to his native US, following a visit of Mikhail Chumakov to the US in 1956. 
However, soon after the introduction of OPV in the US a phenomenon termed “Vaccine Associated Paralytic Polio” (VAPP) was reported, later to be shown to be the result of recombination with other types Enterovirus, especially Coxsackievirus, in the gut of vaccinated children or of mutations of the genome of the vaccine strains. These hybrid viruses (circulating Vaccine Derived Poliovirus or cVDPV) are highly neurovirulent and caused a smoldering outbreak in Egypt and Hispaniola; paradoxically, stringent vaccination with OPV can limit these outbreaks.

So what is to be expected in the future? Hopefully the disease can be extinguished soon, providing that the last remaining pockets vanish. The underlying question is do we need to be vaccinated? The opinions are divided, with the majority opinion be that we need to continue the vaccination for children for a while especially if cVDPV should become a problem.      
To this day, other Non-Poliovirus enteroviruses cause serious disease in humans, such as viral meningitis. A Poliovirus like disease was reported in California between August 2012 and July 2013, with symptoms similar but distinct from Poliomyelitis and not caused by Poliovirus nor cVDPV. 

What can we learn from the mass vaccination program targeting Poliovirus? The Cutter incident lead to the establishment a fund which compensates victims of vaccine failure and the FDA emerged with new powers with similar schemes in other countries. The mass vaccination campaigns highlighted a problem still prevalent in various societies. The so-called Dutch Bible Belt (“Bijbelgordel”) refused vaccinations on religious grounds. An outbreak of Poliomyelitis in 1978 left 110 children paralysed and re-introducing the disease into a community of orthodox Protestants in the US. Despite Church authorities declaring that vaccination is not contradicting Church regulations, continuing refusal by some parents lead to a renewed outbreak in 1992/1993. Regarding Muslim societies refusing the vaccine, it should be noted that vaccine tested and produced in Indonesia under the auspices of Muslim clerics has been approved by the Sharia council in Nigeria, but the damage has been done.
Others reject that Poliovirus is the causative agent of Poliomyelitis altogether; the virus is the product of the disease and despite being infectious in monkeys does not infect humans. Others deny that vaccination prevents this disease; they insists that homeopathic medicine is sufficient. 

In short, resistance against the Polio vaccination is only one example of the resistance met when vaccines are introduced into the public. Replace Polio with Smallpox, Measles or HPV and it is clear that there always people who resist modern medicine.

14 comments:

  1. 2 WEEKS AGO I ENDED NATURAL HERBAL TREATMENT FROM TRADITIONAL HEALER WHO IS IN AFRICAN, I GOT RID OF HPV VIRUS OUT OF MY BODY WITH HIS HERBAL TREATMENT. It SO AMAZING I'M FREE FROM THIS VIRUS FOREVER. YOU CAN REACH HIM ON; DRONOKUNHERBALCURE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
      I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on Email at drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
      he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE

      Delete
    2. Hello I'm Gladness buff by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr. Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my Herpes virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the Herpes Virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested Herpes Virus negative, if you are Herpes Virus positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him +2348140073965 the have cure to HIV/AIDS,diabetes,cancer,copd,hepatitis,hpv etc//..

      Delete
    3. Am here to appreciate Dr Emmanuel for using his herbal medicine to cure my herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Emmanuel curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Emmanuel on his email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or whatsApp/Call him on +2348140073965 God bless him for me.he also cured HIV/AID,genital ,wart,COPD,cancel and all kind of disease and virus

      Delete
  2. MY LIFE IS BACK, Am so happy to share this testimony on how Dr LUCKY , was able to heal me from HpV Disease, well i was detected positive on 23th may 2015, and ever since i have been looking for a way to treat and cure this disease from me, but all ways i try there was no solution, few weeks ago i saw a testimony of some people on how Dr LUCKY was able to cure them from HpV disease, still on i heard about it on media when a young lady also gave her testimony about this same Dr, well left with no hope i message Dr LUCKY , telling him all my problem, he told me what we were to do, that he was going to send me a portion which i am going to take, and after which i took this herb portion he sent to me, he told me to go back to the hospital for check up and after i have done that i should come and tell him the good news result, at first when i saw the message i was so shock and still did not believed i will be cured, well friend to make my story short i am HpV negative now after many time of sorrow, i am Negative, and my sickness are gone, i thank God for leading me to this man….you can email him on (drluckyherbalcure@gmail.com) or you can also call him +2348154637647, he can be of help to you on any problem like
    {1} HIV/AIDS
    {2CANCER
    {3}HERPES
    {4}DIABETES
    (5}HERPERTITIS B
    (6)PID Virus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus (HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr uza is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr uza, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr uza with the email attach to my post. druzaherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr bante for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr bante via, bantespelltemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2349063962262. add on hangout bantespelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost gave up on ever getting cured of HIV VIURS because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for HIV when i came across a post about Dr OSAGIE, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #HIV V`IURS i want to say a very big thank you to DR OSAGIE for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email his email: (drosagiesolutiontemple@gmail.com OR
    DROSAGIESOULTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM ) and also WhatsApp him +2347030465649..
    He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine:
    1...ALS CURE
    DIABETES CURE
    EPILESY CURE
    HPV CURE
    LUPUS CURE
    HEPATITIS CURE
    CANCER CURE
    thank you my great dr .,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony...Good luck!

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I'm Gladness buff by name, I'm giving a testimony about Dr. Emmanuel the great Herbalist, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my Herpes virus, though I went through different website I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: 'Many people have the Herpes Virus cure why are people still suffering from it?' I though of it, then I contact Dr. Emmanuel via email, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested Herpes Virus negative, if you are Herpes Virus positive do me a favor for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that I referenced you.. contact him via: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him +2348140073965 the have cure to HIV/AIDS,diabetes,cancer,copd,hepatitis,hpv etc//..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am here to appreciate Dr Emmanuel for using his herbal medicine to cure my herpes virus. since 3 years now I have been living with this virus and it has been giving me challenges, I was so perplexed cause i have been taking several drugs to be cured but all of my effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the internet then i saw several testimonies about Dr. Emmanuel curing people from Herpes virus and immediately i contacted Dr. Emmanuel on his email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, i told him about my troubles and he told me that i must be cured, gave me some instructions and which i rightly followed. so he prepared a herbal medicine for me and sent it to me which i used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream to me and my Herpes virus was totally gone, why don't you contact him today and be free from your diseases because he is very good and honest Doctor. contact him via email; nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or whatsApp/Call him on +2348140073965 God bless him for me.he also cured HIV/AID,genital ,wart,COPD,cancel and all kind of disease and virus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got diagnosed with HSV1, and reading this actually made me feel like crawling and crying like a baby. The outbreak I have right now is genital and in my throat and mouth, I talked to the doctor who did the blood test on me and said over time that it would eventually get much better. She said that what I’m having is a massive outbreak and is unusual, but that it may be due to the fact that I stressed myself out over it so much. She also told me even though I have it in the genital area that It doesn't mean that I needed “private to private” contact to acquire it. But this did make me feel a whole lot better about the whole situation. For anyone else to have HSV1 after all this stress and pains am passing and the doctor saying all such of crap i was not convince by his Theory so i decided to go on the internet and saw this comments by Rose who testify about how she get cured by root and herbs by Chief Dr Wealthy, when i first bump into it i didn't believe the comments at first so i decided to confront her on Facebook and really know what and how did it work because my doctor told me there is no cure for herpes, so i really contacted Chief Dr Wealthy, he responded in A minute the only thing he ever ask for was just the items of which he will use to prepare for the herbs, after all this he send the herbs through courier Services, within 2 week i was cure just like that without no struggle or stress, if you are out there in need of cure contact him with his email address: wealthylovespell@gmail.com or you Whatsapp him.+2348105150446

    ReplyDelete
  11. i got hpv from my boyfriend  and i was trying all i could do to get rid of this virus over 4 months now i have taking a lot of drugs from different medical doctor which didn't work at all, last month i was doing some research on google on how to get cured totally from this virus i found someone testimony on how she got cured totally from hpv with the help of doc. onokun  natural herbs and she drop doc onokun email address, So i decide to give him a try and i contact him for help he told how to purchase the natural herbs and i did that, Do you believe i only took this herbs for 2 weeks and i got cured permanently from the hpv virus without no side effect. Thank you so much doc onokun for the help i will make sure i tell the whole world about you. contact him if you need his help too  via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete